The Gardner Edgerton school district is always looking for quality substitute teachers.
In order to become a Substitute Teacher, you must have the following:
- Kansas Teaching Certificate, or an Emergency Substitute Certificate from the state of Kansas
- Recent Certificate of Health & TB test (completed within the past year)
- Copy of your driver’s license
- Copy of your social security card
Substitute Hiring Process:
In addition to the required materials listed above, all regular or emergency substitute applicants must also complete a payroll packet and a bloodborn pathogens quiz booklet. These materials are available in our district office. You will be placed on our substitute list once all of your paperwork is properly completed. The district's substitute callers will be in contact with you on an “as needed basis.”
Substitute Pay Rates:
Substitutes are paid $115.00/per day, $86.25/three-fourths day or $57.50/half day. Long term Substitutes are paid $140.00 (after 10 consecutive days for the same teacher). Extended Long term Substitutes are paid $145.00 (after 90 consecutive days for the same teacher).
To obtain an initial emergency substitute certificate from the state of Kansas, you must do the following:
1. Have your fingerprints taken. Pick up the State Department's form in our Human Resources office, or to order a form online click here. This form must be taken to a police department, where your fingerprints will be made. Send the form and a check for $44.00 to the State Department in a special envelope that will be provided.
2. Complete the State Department's emergency substitute application form. This form is available in our Human Resources office, or to download the form online click here. The application requires official transcripts showing 60 college credit hours. Send the completed form, along with your official sealed transcripts, and a check made payable to KSDE for $36.00, to the State Department.
This process takes approximately 4-6 weeks. If approved, your certificate will be mailed directly to you from the Kansas State Department of Education. Please bring the "Employer's Copy" of your certificate to our Human Resources office, where we will keep a copy on file.
Renewing your emergency substitute certificate:
You can now renew your emergency substitute certificate online. Please click here to be directed to the state department's online application instruction page.
For more information on the state requirements for substituting and all licensure issues, please visit the State Department's substitute teaching webpage by clicking here, or call their licensure operators at 785-291-3678.
Please call our Human Resources office at 913-856-2016 for further information about substitute teaching in the Gardner Edgerton School District.
DISTRICT SUB CALLERS:
Whitney Benson 913-206-5455
All Elementary Schools (Grades K-4): Edgerton, Gardner, Madison, Moonlight, Nike and Sunflower
Wheatridge Middle School (Grades 5-8)
Brittney Geis 913-206-6850
Pioneer Ridge Middle School (Grades 5-8)
Gardner Edgerton High School (Grades 9-12)